From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revise EAPI 6?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 06:25:01
1 >>>>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >> In the meantime, we could go with the minimum changes necessary to
5 >> unbreak the bash 4.2 case conversion operators. Setting LC_COLLATE
6 >> to C and LC_CTYPE to some sane locale should be sufficient for that.
7
8 > If you want to force specific locale categories to C, I don't mind. I
9 > would just prefer that you don't mess with LC_ALL and keep LC_CTYPE to
10 > something with UTF-8 support.
11
12 We are thinking about adding a sentence like this:
13
14 The package manager must ensure that the LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE
15 locale categories are equivalent to the C locale, as far as
16 characters in the ASCII range (U+0000 to U+007F) are concerned.
17
18 Essentially this requires LC_COLLATE=C, but it permits almost anything
19 for LC_CTYPE, except for such locales that change character categories
20 or the upper/lowercase mapping for ASCII characters.
21
22 Ulrich