From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revise EAPI 6?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:34:58
1 On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Matthias Maier wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015, at 15:52 CST, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> I'd be in favor of full-on LC_ALL=C.
7 >
8 >> ++
9 >
10 >> I'm surprised that we do not have such a policy already.
11 >
12 > LC_ALL=C would disable UTF-8, and I am told that this would cause
13 > problems for e.g. Python 3. What we would really want is C.UTF-8 [1]
14 > but that's neither a standard nor is it ready.
17 I can work around it in the python eclasses by adjusting the
18 python_export_utf8_locale function, but would prefer not to do that.
19
20 > In the meantime, we could go with the minimum changes necessary to
21 > unbreak the bash 4.2 case conversion operators. Setting LC_COLLATE
22 > to C and LC_CTYPE to some sane locale should be sufficient for that.
23
24 If you want to force specific locale categories to C, I don't mind. I
25 would just prefer that you don't mess with LC_ALL and keep LC_CTYPE to
26 something with UTF-8 support.