From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revise EAPI 6?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 23:18:32
1 >>>>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015, Matthias Maier wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Nov 11, 2015, at 15:52 CST, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
4
5 >> I'd be in favor of full-on LC_ALL=C.
6
7 > ++
8
9 > I'm surprised that we do not have such a policy already.
10
11 LC_ALL=C would disable UTF-8, and I am told that this would cause
12 problems for e.g. Python 3. What we would really want is C.UTF-8 [1]
13 but that's neither a standard nor is it ready.
14
15 In the meantime, we could go with the minimum changes necessary to
16 unbreak the bash 4.2 case conversion operators. Setting LC_COLLATE
17 to C and LC_CTYPE to some sane locale should be sufficient for that.
18
19 Ulrich
22 [1] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Proposals/C.UTF-8