From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:44:03
1 On 27 July 2014 19:16, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Not at all, it is completely identical to a revision bump:
4 > If you would use -r2 instead of -r1.1, you also would end up
5 > in -r1 and -r2 being identical.
6 > Actually, in both cases, you would *remove* -r1, since -r1 is incorrect
7 > since it should have been bumped.
10 It just seems strange to me to go round a large tree and bump every ebuild
11 affected by an eclass change, simply not modifiying the code, buy changing
12 the -r value on the end of it.
13
14 In a "no dynamic deps, period" scenario, this just strikes me as 2 flavours
15 of the same weirdness, -r2 and -r1.1 are just equally weird choices to make
16 if the ebuild itself doesn't change at all.
17
18 For some things it would be a nightmare of impossibility for even a trivial
19 change if some eclass changed to have one new dependency/one less
20 dependency. You'd need some system in place to go around the tree -r
21 bumping things, and the system would involve humans who are prone to making
22 mistakes, and create commit churn to make it happen.
23
24 The same problem would still persist with people forgetting to -r bump, or
25 missing one ebuild in the ~200 affected, but with dynamic deps off, those
26 bugs would lie in wait and confuse portage until somebody filed a bug and
27 it got responded to.
28
29 Sure, having an approved system to ship dependency-only changes to the end
30 users tree is something we do need, I'll grant that, but the point of
31 failure is already significantly weighing on developer time, and this would
32 see a growth in developer time to manage this ( I could be over estimating
33 how much, but -r bumping everything that used a specific eclass is
34 something I very much do not envy ).
35
36 However, if there was a system in place such that developers didn't have to
37 manually do any -r bumping , but "some system" acknowledge the changes and
38 scheduled some kind of VDB update in response to some kind of data that was
39 transmitted as part of the sync, that would be nice.
40
41 -r bumping is of course *a* way to transmit the data.
42
43 Just I feel strongly inclined that we shouldn't be making developers expend
44 *more* effort to solve this problem if there's a way we can make them spend
45 *less*.
48 Kent
49
50 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL