From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:17:08
1 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 27 July 2014 02:12, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Do not forget modification of eclasses which then require mass bumps!
5 >
6 > I'm curious what the -r1.1 technique would do here.
7 >
8 > I mean, wouldn't that mean you have 2 ebuilds that are identical except for
9 > the '.1' simply due to the eclass change?
10 >
11 > That's going to be confusing.
12
13 Not at all, it is completely identical to a revision bump:
14 If you would use -r2 instead of -r1.1, you also would end up
15 in -r1 and -r2 being identical.
16 Actually, in both cases, you would *remove* -r1, since -r1 is incorrect
17 since it should have been bumped.
18
19 > -r1.1 weirdness feels like it may cause more problems than it solves.
20
21 So far, nobody pointed out any problem which would be caused by -r1.1.
22 Which is not surprising, since the idea is that -r1.1 cannot be
23 distinguished from -r2:
24 It is only a hint to the PM that he *may* shortcut certain phases when
25 updating from -r1.