From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Avoiding rebuilds (was: don't rely on dynamic deps)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:16:46
1 >>>>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2
3 > Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> -r1.1 weirdness feels like it may cause more problems than it solves.
5
6 > So far, nobody pointed out any problem which would be caused by -r1.1.
7 > Which is not surprising, since the idea is that -r1.1 cannot be
8 > distinguished from -r2:
9 > It is only a hint to the PM that he *may* shortcut certain phases when
10 > updating from -r1.
11
12 I wonder if it wouldn't be saner to leave our revision syntax
13 untouched.
14
15 Instead, one could introduce a variable INSTALL_VERSION that would
16 default to ${PVR} but could be set to the version of a previous ebuild
17 instead. The PM could compare it against INSTALL_VERSION in the VDB
18 and skip build and installation if versions match.
19
20 Advantages:
21 - Support for the variable could be optional. PMs not supporting it
22 would do a regular revbump instead.
23 - One could even imagine USE-conditional syntax for the variable.
24
25 Ulrich