From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Avoiding rebuilds
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:45:48
1 Ulrich Mueller:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014, Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >
4 >> Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> -r1.1 weirdness feels like it may cause more problems than it solves.
6 >
7 >> So far, nobody pointed out any problem which would be caused by -r1.1.
8 >> Which is not surprising, since the idea is that -r1.1 cannot be
9 >> distinguished from -r2:
10 >> It is only a hint to the PM that he *may* shortcut certain phases when
11 >> updating from -r1.
12 >
13 > I wonder if it wouldn't be saner to leave our revision syntax
14 > untouched.
15 >
16 > Instead, one could introduce a variable INSTALL_VERSION that would
17 > default to ${PVR} but could be set to the version of a previous ebuild
18 > instead. The PM could compare it against INSTALL_VERSION in the VDB
19 > and skip build and installation if versions match.
20 >
21 > Advantages:
22 > - Support for the variable could be optional. PMs not supporting it
23 > would do a regular revbump instead.
24 > - One could even imagine USE-conditional syntax for the variable.
27 Aren't we putting a lot of trust in ebuild writers here? If any, I'd say
28 this should definitely be an optional feature for portage as well and
29 default to off.
30
31 The only time I would really consider using this would be for the very
32 few time-intensive packages I maintain like paraview, rstudio or
33 blender. For the rest, it's too much effort.
34
35 It will probably also cause confusion for comaintainers and
36 collaborators, especially when INSTALL_VERSION points to a version that
37 has already been removed.