From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Avoiding rebuilds
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 05:49:47
1 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller:
3 >>
4 >> I wonder if it wouldn't be saner to leave our revision syntax
5 >> untouched.
6
7 As already mentioned, -r1.1 is only one of several possible ways
8 how to achieve the same aim; I am not speaking in favour for a
9 particular method.
10 The -r1.1 method has the advantage of being simple and transparent
11 to the user and developer. Other approaches have other advantages:
12
13 >> Instead, one could introduce a variable INSTALL_VERSION that would
14
15 (It would have to be a variable stored in the metadata/ cache
16 and thus also would only work with a new API, but these are only
17 technical details.)
18
19 >> default to ${PVR} but could be set to the version of a previous ebuild
20 >> instead. The PM could compare it against INSTALL_VERSION in the VDB
21 >> and skip build and installation if versions match.
22
23 It should be a list and have empty default (*never* including the
24 version itself), but these are also technical details.
25 This solution would have the advantage that you could specify
26 *full* versions and thus have even more fine-grained control when
27 recompilations are necessary. One could also allow specify version
28 ranges, slots, overlays, etc., perhaps even make the behaviour
29 dependent of USE-flags, as you already mentioned, all
30 similarl to current DEPEND syntax.
31
32 The disadvantage is that it is slightly more work than -r1.1,
33 less transparent, and easily overlooked to remove for a version bump,
34 causing issues like these:
35
36 > It will probably also cause confusion for comaintainers and
37 > collaborators, especially when INSTALL_VERSION points to a version that
38 > has already been removed.