From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:10:24
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:39:45 +0100
3 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > On Tuesday 03 February 2004 22:30, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 > > I was wondering what stable actually means, so I looked it up in the
7 > > dictionary. Here's the definition I found most suitable to our
8 > > purpose:
9 > >
10 > > 3a. Consistently dependable; steadfast of purpose.
11 > >
12 > > Now, I see nothing that implies that "dependable" means "can't
13 > > upgrade."
14 > >
15 > > What's your argument that makes backports superior to upgrades for
16 > > bug fixes? Maybe I'm missing something.
17 >
18 > Basically when one maintains a farm of computers with many users that
19 > use it for various purposes there are a number of issues at play:
20
21 Dont forget:
22 all special purpouse/ homebrew / extra software has to be merged with
23 the update, perhaps in a special order (openssl change fex.) in order
24 to make testing complete.
25
26 site-specific changes need to be repatched and changed (extra
27 functionality, site-wide branding. (default homepages/configurations,
28 bugreporting urls. you name it. )
31 And yes, many sites do a complete reinstall from image rather than do
32 "update with the package". Simply because its faster, or because
33 operators are experienced and know that doing the "update" might not
34 give the desired result in all cases.
37 //Spider
42 begin .signature
43 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
45 end