From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:39:55
1 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 22:30, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > I was wondering what stable actually means, so I looked it up in the
3 > dictionary. Here's the definition I found most suitable to our purpose:
4 >
5 > 3a. Consistently dependable; steadfast of purpose.
6 >
7 > Now, I see nothing that implies that "dependable" means "can't upgrade."
8 >
9 > What's your argument that makes backports superior to upgrades for bug
10 > fixes? Maybe I'm missing something.
11
12 Basically when one maintains a farm of computers with many users that use it
13 for various purposes there are a number of issues at play:
14 - New versions could introduce new bugs that some of the users might hit
15 (going back is often a problem)
16 - New versions could remove or change features that particular users want. In
17 any case any non-bug-fix release will create some level of user confusion
18 - Install's are often image based. While it is possible to have a few changes
19 be propagated after mirror installation, bigger changes need to be included
20 on new images with all the needed testing etc.
21 - Many company policies demand new rounds of testing before a new version of
22 any package is released. The smaller the change (security fix only, usually
23 a patch of less than 30 lines), the less testing is needed.
24 - Each and every change often needs to be manually reviewed. If there is just
25 a security patch there will be no changed dependencies and less effort
26 needed for the review.
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze