From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:25:17
1 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 14:39, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > Basically when one maintains a farm of computers with many users that use it
3 > for various purposes there are a number of issues at play:
4 > - New versions could introduce new bugs that some of the users might hit
5 > (going back is often a problem)
6 > - New versions could remove or change features that particular users want. In
7 > any case any non-bug-fix release will create some level of user confusion
8 > - Install's are often image based. While it is possible to have a few changes
9 > be propagated after mirror installation, bigger changes need to be included
10 > on new images with all the needed testing etc.
11 > - Many company policies demand new rounds of testing before a new version of
12 > any package is released. The smaller the change (security fix only, usually
13 > a patch of less than 30 lines), the less testing is needed.
14 > - Each and every change often needs to be manually reviewed. If there is just
15 > a security patch there will be no changed dependencies and less effort
16 > needed for the review.
17
18 I think this is a good start on documenting the various issues that we
19 are trying to address. However, I think we need *specific* examples of
20 these issues so we can analyze them and make sure that whatever solution
21 that is chosen is indeed the best one. This all needs to be documented
22 in the GLEP so that we all understand exactly what problems we are
23 trying to solve. The goal must be clear.
24
25 The steps we should follow are:
26
27 1) document the specific issues (real examples experienced by real
28 people) that we are trying to address. Document expectations that users
29 have for Gentoo in a production environment.
30
31 2) define requirements that need to be met for any implementation.
32
33 3) have different implementations proposed by developers, users. Have
34 these proposals reviewed and commented on, possibly refined.
35
36 4) choose the implementation that solves the problems and best meets the
37 requirements.
38
39 5) develop an implementation roadmap
40
41 6) implement the solution
42
43 People are jumping to step #4, but I don't think that we've even
44 completed step #1 yet... certainly not to the level that it needs to be
45 in order for us to make sure we're making the best decision.
46
47 And remember, after step #1 comes #2, defining requirements.... *then*
48 step 3: proposed implementations.
49
50 Long live nerdboy!
51