From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:31:04
1 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 15:35, Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2 > A few points...
3 >
4 > On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 15:55, Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 > > * Could cause problems if some of the security updates have newer deps that
6 > > are otherwise not included in the stable tree.
7 >
8 > Security updates should be back-ported if the deps can't be met... I
9 > dont see how we can get around that... and call it stable... But that's
10 > not an infrastructure matter, I agree.. But as soon as anything called
11 > like stable is implemented we are going to have to discuss QA stuff..
12
13 I was wondering what stable actually means, so I looked it up in the
14 dictionary. Here's the definition I found most suitable to our purpose:
15
16 3a. Consistently dependable; steadfast of purpose.
17
18 Now, I see nothing that implies that "dependable" means "can't upgrade."
19
20 What's your argument that makes backports superior to upgrades for bug
21 fixes? Maybe I'm missing something.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie