From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Round 2: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:36:20
1 A few points...
2
3 On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 15:55, Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 > There are two main issues that I want to focus on as possible alternatives
5 > for implementing this GLEP.
6 >
7 > 1) Tarballs for main tree, rsync for security/bugfixes.
8 >
9 > Several folks have indicated that they feel quarterly updates are too
10 > frequent. I personally feel that semi-annual or annual updates are too
11 > infrequent and put us at risk of contracting Debian Stable-itis.
12 >
13 > One alternative I thought of (inspired by a suggestion from Spider) was to
14 > create and distribute each quarterly release as a tbz2 and then have a
15 > single rsync tree that only contains security updates and bugfixes. These
16 > off-cycle changes would, as Spider suggested, be made available via an
17 > overlay to avoid corrupting the original tree.
18
19 I think this tarball idea is very good.. Debian Stable has actually many
20 good things that we should emulate, one of them being stability (ie it
21 doesnt change often) and the other being stability (it has very good
22 QA)... Its much easier to keep more tarballs on the mirrors without
23 overloading them too..
24
25 > The main disadvantages I can see with this are:
26 >
27 > * Requires portage support to work. (or users will have to do a lot
28 > of manual syncing) The original GLEP requires no changes to portage.
29
30 Why new portage support? Upgrading would be "rm -rf
31 /usr/portage-stable/*; tar xzvf -C /usr/portage-stable/ tarball.tbz2 or
32 something like that.. Having it as non-rsync is actually a feature... I
33 dont want to update my stable tree by mistake!
34
35 > * Could cause problems if some of the security updates have newer deps that
36 > are otherwise not included in the stable tree.
37
38 Security updates should be back-ported if the deps can't be met... I
39 dont see how we can get around that... and call it stable... But that's
40 not an infrastructure matter, I agree.. But as soon as anything called
41 like stable is implemented we are going to have to discuss QA stuff..
42
43 I can volunteer to help maintain a very stable tree...
46 Olivier CrĂȘte
47 tester@g.o
48 Gentoo Developer