From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 20:11:41
1 On 09/12/2015 09:12 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > Potential solution: bi-dir github <=> bugzilla integration
4 > ==========================================================
5 >
6 > My current idea would be pretty much that:
7 >
8 > 1. a new dedicated Gentoo bug would be automatically created for every
9 > pull request on github,
10 >
11 > 2. all comments from github would be automatically copied to bugzie.
12 > All bugzie comments would be automatically copied to github,
13 >
14 > 3. resolving the bug would automatically close the relevant pull
15 > request.
16 >
17 > This way, all pull requests can be assigned to package maintainers in
18 > Bugzilla without having to resort to GitHub user or team names. All
19 > involved parties would get more reliable Bugzilla notification mails.
20 > They could choose to either use the provided URLs to discuss the pull
21 > request on GitHub, or discuss it directly on Bugzilla, whichever is
22 > more convenient to them.
23 >
24 > The additional Bugzilla load should be manageable, though we may want
25 > to employ some kind of rate limiting in case someone though it'd funny
26 > to spam our bugzilla via spamming github.
27 >
28 > Problems:
29 >
30 > - handling line comments (probably a Bugzie comment with quoted code
31 > snippet),
32 >
33 > - handling comment edits and removals,
34 >
35 > - some people will get double mail for each comment,
36 >
37 > - extra bugs for existing issues (we shouldn't really try to reuse
38 > existing bugs for this).
42 > What are your thoughts? Any other proposals?
46 We should probably auto-attach the patch from the pull request. This can
47 easily be done with link-rewriting, e.g.:
48 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/83 to
49 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/83.patch
50 yields a nice downloadable patch.
51
52 Or was that already part of your plan?