From: Pallav Agarwal <pallavagarwal07@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 12:44:03
1 Hi,
2 I am a student selected for GSoC 2016. One of the things in my proposal
3 requires the ebuilds to carry a mechanism to test the built software by
4 running some script provided by the maintainer of the ebuild.
5 This would be basically similar to whatever tests an Arch Tester would do,
6 however made easier by the fact that it would be written by the maintainer.
7 This could be to test whatever bug the ebuild fixes, or the basic
8 functionality of the software. This would help to automate the
9 stabilization of the built packages (which my project on
10 continuous stabilization wishes to accomplish).
11
12 What I'm suggesting is to add a new function post_install_test. The
13 function will run only if the build is being run for stabilization (either
14 as a part of automated stabilization, or manual) which can be controlled by
15 a USE flag. The function would also require independent dependencies in
16 case it uses external applications to test the one being built.
17
18 I wanted to know other opinions on this matter.
19
20 Thanks,
21 Pallav Agarwal