From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] keywording of new style virtuals
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:45:52
1 On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 10:17:28PM +0300, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 06.07.2011 21:55, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > from my previous discussion, I am about to put a new virtual in the
6 > > tree. Do I need to use the same ~arch/30 day wait/stabilize cycle I
7 > > would normally use even though the default package the virtual will
8 > > bring in is stable everywhere?
9 > >
10 > > I'm thinking I can take the virtual straight to stable in this situation,,
11 > > but I want to be sure.
14 > Nothing stable should be using the virtual at the time of commit so
15 > what's the benefit of going stable fast? Repoman should also be
16 > preventing commits straight to stable. I would stable the virtual at the
17 > same time as someone stable starts to use it (which probably means the
18 > 30 day period).
19
20 Actually we could use it faster than that. I want to add a
21 virtual/service-manager (see http://bugs.gentoo.org/373843) for
22 sys-apps/openrc and sys-apps/systemd then add it to the system set, so
23 it would be used immediately everywhere.
24
25 That will also make it possible for folks using systemd to remove
26 openrc from their systems if they want to do so, which they
27 can't right now because baselayout has a PDEPEND on openrc.
28
29 William