From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please enhance your USE descriptions!
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 08:03:46
1 On 31/03/11 09:57, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 31-03-2011 09:44:37 +0200, justin wrote:
3 >> First is a package specific, second is the default.
4 >>
5 >> And no, asuming the USE is introduced correctly here, it makes a
6 >> difference, whether we take the global meaning -> reading mp3 files at
7 >> all; or changing the way it is done for this package. Because here it
8 >> means, you could not disable mp3 support, but rather choose on which way
9 >> it should happen.
10 >
11 > If a flag is in use.desc (global), then I should be able to put it in my
12 > USE= in my /etc/make.conf. That also means that the flag should only be
13 > used to do exactly as it says in use.desc, and nothing else.
14 >
15 > The package in question here should really use a different USE-flag,
16 > because it is overloading the original (intended?) meaning of the mp3
17 > USE-flag, leading to possibly unexpected results for the end-user.
18 >
19 > There is nothing unclear on the descriptions here, the same flag is just
20 > used for two different things, which is wrong if the flag is global.
24 Lets stop this discussion, because this doesn't has to do with the topic.
25 All I wanted to do, is illustrating the difference between a missleading
26 or not understandable USE description, to something, where I directly
27 get a clue, what happens if I set it.