From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please enhance your USE descriptions!
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:59:46
1 On 31-03-2011 09:44:37 +0200, justin wrote:
2 > First is a package specific, second is the default.
3 >
4 > And no, asuming the USE is introduced correctly here, it makes a
5 > difference, whether we take the global meaning -> reading mp3 files at
6 > all; or changing the way it is done for this package. Because here it
7 > means, you could not disable mp3 support, but rather choose on which way
8 > it should happen.
9
10 If a flag is in use.desc (global), then I should be able to put it in my
11 USE= in my /etc/make.conf. That also means that the flag should only be
12 used to do exactly as it says in use.desc, and nothing else.
13
14 The package in question here should really use a different USE-flag,
15 because it is overloading the original (intended?) meaning of the mp3
16 USE-flag, leading to possibly unexpected results for the end-user.
17
18 There is nothing unclear on the descriptions here, the same flag is just
19 used for two different things, which is wrong if the flag is global.
23 Fabian Groffen
24 Gentoo on a different level