From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please enhance your USE descriptions!
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:45:14
1 On 31/03/11 09:33, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 31-03-2011 09:23:16 +0200, justin wrote:
3 >> This is what I mean by good description
4 >>
5 >> + <flag name="mp3">Enable support for mp3 decoding over
7 >>
8 >> instead of the default
9 >>
10 >> mp3 - Add support for reading mp3 files
11 >>
12 >> Everybody understands what mp3 means, but we truely need something else
13 >> here.
14 >
15 > Are these two descriptions for the same package? Both messages say
16 > something different to me. This is not an improvement perse, but just a
17 > correction, because one of the two is (or both are) clearly wrong.
18 >
19 > I find the default clear enough. It seems the mp3 USE-flag is
20 > overloaded with multiple functions, this is likely the cause of the
21 > problem here.
26 First is a package specific, second is the default.
27
28 And no, asuming the USE is introduced correctly here, it makes a
29 difference, whether we take the global meaning -> reading mp3 files at
30 all; or changing the way it is done for this package. Because here it
31 means, you could not disable mp3 support, but rather choose on which way
32 it should happen.