From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ssl vs openssl vs libressl vs gnutls USE flag foo
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 04:35:46
1 Is this not precisely what USE_EXPAND is supposed to be for? Take CURL_SSL
2 and make it generic...
3
4 On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:06 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > B) 1 feature flag, 3 strict provider flags
9 > > * ssl: enable any sort of SSL/TLS support
10 > > * gnutls: only to enable gnutls provided ssl support in case there
11 > > is a choice
12 > > * openssl: only to enable openssl provided ssl support in case
13 > > there is a choice (should not be implemented as !gnutls?)
14 > > * libressl: only to enable libressl provided ssl support in case there
15 > > is a choice, must conflict with 'openssl' USE flag
16 > >
17 > > consequences:
18 > > * REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( openssl libressl )" is not only allowed, it is
19 > > _mandatory_
20 > > * packages like media-video/ffmpeg _must_ switch the USE flag
21 > > openssl->ssl to avoid breaking global USE flags
22 > > * !gnutls? ( dev-libs/openssl:0 ) will be bad form or even disallowed
23 > >
24 > > B will definitely be more work, but ofc is also a lot cleaner and
25 > > totally unambigous.
28 > ++
29 >
30 > The pain is for a short time. Then we have to live with this for a
31 > long time. USE flags should have one meaning. The fact that this
32 > isn't the case right now is already a bug. We don't need to
33 > perpetuate it.
34 >
35 > Honestly, this just seems like "the right thing" so if there isn't
36 > opposition then I'd suggest to "just do it" and commit fixes to
37 > ebuilds that need the fix (ie if maintainer doesn't respond to bug
38 > quickly just take care of it). If people object they should speak up
39 > now, and we can take it up at the next council meeting if necessary
40 > (which is right around the corner).
41 >
42 > --
43 > Rich