From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ssl vs openssl vs libressl vs gnutls USE flag foo
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 02:46:48
1 On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 10:06 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > B) 1 feature flag, 3 strict provider flags
4 > * ssl: enable any sort of SSL/TLS support
5 > * gnutls: only to enable gnutls provided ssl support in case there
6 > is a choice
7 > * openssl: only to enable openssl provided ssl support in case
8 > there is a choice (should not be implemented as !gnutls?)
9 > * libressl: only to enable libressl provided ssl support in case there
10 > is a choice, must conflict with 'openssl' USE flag
11 >
12 > consequences:
13 > * REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( openssl libressl )" is not only allowed, it is
14 > _mandatory_
15 > * packages like media-video/ffmpeg _must_ switch the USE flag
16 > openssl->ssl to avoid breaking global USE flags
17 > * !gnutls? ( dev-libs/openssl:0 ) will be bad form or even disallowed
18 >
19 > B will definitely be more work, but ofc is also a lot cleaner and
20 > totally unambigous.
23 ++
24
25 The pain is for a short time. Then we have to live with this for a
26 long time. USE flags should have one meaning. The fact that this
27 isn't the case right now is already a bug. We don't need to
28 perpetuate it.
29
30 Honestly, this just seems like "the right thing" so if there isn't
31 opposition then I'd suggest to "just do it" and commit fixes to
32 ebuilds that need the fix (ie if maintainer doesn't respond to bug
33 quickly just take care of it). If people object they should speak up
34 now, and we can take it up at the next council meeting if necessary
35 (which is right around the corner).
38 Rich