From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DHCP
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:36:42
1 On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:13:09PM -0700, JP Sartre wrote:
2 >Hi all.. I may have spoken to a few of you in #gentoo regarding this, but I am really at a loss here. I realize there is no DHCP script as of yet with gentoo, but I have been unable to configure my network as a result. What would the procedure be for me to get my network up with dhcp? A binary of dhcp was kindly made for me, but I am at a loss as to what to do once I've pkmerged it..
3
4 cd /usr/portage/net-misc
5 emerge dhcp-3.0_beta0224.ebuild
6
7 dhclient ethN (where N is a number, I have two interfaces on my laptop eth0
8 is the onboard eepro and eth1 is my pcmcia nic)
9
10 I use dhcp for both. WIth my pcmcia stuff I had to edit
11 /etc/pcmcia/network to reflect the correct paths etc.
12
13 and I rarely use my onboard so I just run it by hand, you could however make a
14 /etc/rc.d/config/inet.eth0 look like this.
15
16 IFACE=eth0
17
18 netup() {
19 /sbin/dhclient $IFACE
20 }
21 netdown(){
22 /sbin/ifconfig $IFACE down
23 }
24
25 And if I weren't so lazy I'd also add in the ipchains stuff too.
26
27 HTH
31 Ben Lutgens cell: XXX.XXX.XXXX
32 Sistina Software Inc. work: XXX.XXX.XXXX
33 Mailing list admin / Punching Bag (and sorta sysadmin guy)
34 http://www.sistina.com/ <--- great software
35 http://www.gentoo.org/ <--- great distro
36 Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream <--- perfect error message