From: "Denis M. (Phr33d0m)" <god@××××××××.in>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: net-irc/xchat
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:41:22
1 On 11/25/2012 09:27 PM, Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > Hey list,
3 >
4 > I'm planning to lastrite net-irc/xchat in the next couple of weeks.
5 > Unfortunately my hope that upstream development would be resumed
6 > didn't come true. As the code becomes more and more outdated, open
7 > unfixed security bugs are present[1][2] and at some point in the
8 > future =x11-libs/gtk+-2* will vanish from the tree I don't see any
9 > other option than removing xchat from the tree. I don't see this as
10 > a big drama as we already have a drop-in replacement in form of the
11 > net-irc/hexchat fork.
12 Hello, I'd have to mention, as HexChat is a fork from XChat it strictly
13 depends on gtk+-2 as well. So removing gtk+-2* will make HexChat
14 unusuable (at least the GUI). Also there are no plans on porting it to
15 anything like gtk+-3 (or Qt (I have to say I'd love that)).
16 > I checked this today and all people have to do is emerge hexchat
17 > and then copy over the xchat config: mkdir ${HOME}/.config ; cp -a
18 > ${HOME}/.xchat2 ${HOME}/.config/hexchat
19 Since hexchat-2.9.4 they also have to move their xchat.conf file to
20 hexchat.conf (this reminder message displays after emerge).
21 >
22 > I'd like to see your opinion on this matter as long as you have
23 > one you'd like to share with me ;) Furthermore I would shift my
24 > attention from the xchat package to hexchat seeing that it
25 > currently gets proxy maintained. If there's no objection I'd like
26 > to become the new contact of the person currently maintaining the
27 > package in portage.
28 Unfortunately I have some bad news here. The same way XChat's
29 development died some time ago (with the exception of some critical
30 patches here and there), HexChat's development has met a wall. The only
31 active developer has quit the project. I hope this does not mean the end
32 of the project as there are a couple of contributors who seem interested
33 in further developing HexChat (they have write access to hexchat's
34 github repo so further versions will depend on them).
35
36 Answering some questions already on this topic, hexchat has it's own
37 system info script, so xchat-sys is pointless for hexchat (although it
38 might work - yes, or what hasufell saw was the built-in working and
39 not the xchat-xsys plugin).
40
41 Also, since hexchat-2.9.4 there is no more tcl/lua support. All other
42 plugins are supported without issues.
43 There's only one thing to be noted here, there are some perl/python
44 plugins which make use of "xchat packages". Which means that, if you
45 see something like this: "package Xchat::" inside your plugin you have
46 to remove that line, otherwise hexchat won't be able to load the script.
50 Regards,
51 Denis M.