From: "Denis M. (Phr33d0m)" <god@××××××××.in>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: net-irc/xchat
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 23:30:27
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 11/25/2012 09:27 PM, Lars Wendler wrote:
5 > Hey list,
6 >
7 > I'm planning to lastrite net-irc/xchat in the next couple of weeks.
8 > Unfortunately my hope that upstream development would be resumed
9 > didn't come true. As the code becomes more and more outdated, open
10 > unfixed security bugs are present[1][2] and at some point in the
11 > future =x11-libs/gtk+-2* will vanish from the tree I don't see any
12 > other option than removing xchat from the tree. I don't see this as
13 > a big drama as we already have a drop-in replacement in form of the
14 > net-irc/hexchat fork.
15 Hello, I'd have to mention, as HexChat is a fork from XChat it strictly
16 depends on gtk+-2 as well. So removing gtk+-2* will make HexChat
17 unusuable (at least the GUI). Also there are no plans on porting it to
18 anything like gtk+-3 (or Qt (I have to say I'd love that)).
19 > I checked this today and all people have to do is emerge hexchat
20 > and then copy over the xchat config: mkdir ${HOME}/.config ; cp -a
21 > ${HOME}/.xchat2 ${HOME}/.config/hexchat
22 Since hexchat-2.9.4 they also have to move their xchat.conf file to
23 hexchat.conf (this reminder message displays after emerge).
24 >
25 > I'd like to see your opinion on this matter as long as you have
26 > one you'd like to share with me ;) Furthermore I would shift my
27 > attention from the xchat package to hexchat seeing that it
28 > currently gets proxy maintained. If there's no objection I'd like
29 > to become the new contact of the person currently maintaining the
30 > package in portage.
31 Unfortunately I have some bad news here. The same way XChat's
32 development died some time ago (with the exception of some critical
33 patches here and there), HexChat's development has met a wall. The only
34 active developer has quit the project. I hope this does not mean the end
35 of the project as there are a couple of contributors who seem interested
36 in further developing HexChat (they have write access to hexchat's
37 github repo so further versions will depend on them).
38
39 Answering some questions already on this topic, hexchat has it's own
40 system info script, so xchat-sys is pointless for hexchat (although it
41 might work - yes, or what hasufell saw was the built-in working and
42 not the xchat-xsys plugin).
43
44 Also, since hexchat-2.9.4 there is no more tcl/lua support. All other
45 plugins are supported without issues.
46 There's only one thing to be noted here, there are some perl/python
47 plugins which make use of "xchat packages". Which means that, if you
48 see something like this: "package Xchat::" inside your plugin you have
49 to remove that line, otherwise hexchat won't be able to load the script.
53 Regards,
54 Denis M.
55