From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Summary of suggested new features in EAPI="4"
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:56
1 On 18-12-2010 02:45:06 +0100, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
2 >
3 > Problem #1: USE flags cannot contain "." characters.
4 >
5 > The following solutions have been suggested:
6 > - Add support for "." characters in USE flags in EAPI="4".
7
8 Like Donnie said, this feels like a purely cosmetic change. I think
9 that alone is not a good reason to do this.
10
11 > Problem #3: repoman doesn't allow stable packages to have optional dependencies on unstable
12 > packages (usually until these packages are stabilized).
13 >
14 > Example of the problem:
15 > If "python_abis_2.7", "python_abis_3.1" and "python_abis_3.2" USE flags are masked using
16 > use.mask on given architectures until Python 2.7, 3.1 and 3.2 are stabilized on these
17 > architectures, then majority of reverse dependencies of Python won't be tested with new
18 > versions of Python.
19
20 I don't see the problem here actually. As soon as you're going to allow
21 stable and unstable to be mixed, the concept of stable isn't worth much
22 any more, IMO. If you want to have some experimental feature in some
23 package, it can never be stable, unless it is e.g. USE-masked, and
24 unmasking of the right package(s) is left as an excercise for the
25 user.
26
27 Your Python example only indicates to me how much of a mess it has
28 actually become. For most other packages, it is quite normal that a new
29 version is "untested" until it is stabilised, which means unstable users
30 are the ones to find the problems, if any. The maintainer (and to an
31 extent the arch teams) of course has a leading role in this.
35 Fabian Groffen
36 Gentoo on a different level