From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Summary of suggested new features in EAPI="4"
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:33:13
1 On 12/18/2010 01:57 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 18-12-2010 02:45:06 +0100, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Problem #1: USE flags cannot contain "." characters.
5 >>
6 >> The following solutions have been suggested:
7 >> - Add support for "." characters in USE flags in EAPI="4".
8 >
9 > Like Donnie said, this feels like a purely cosmetic change. I think
10 > that alone is not a good reason to do this.
11 >
12 >> Problem #3: repoman doesn't allow stable packages to have optional dependencies on unstable
13 >> packages (usually until these packages are stabilized).
14 >>
15 >> Example of the problem:
16 >> If "python_abis_2.7", "python_abis_3.1" and "python_abis_3.2" USE flags are masked using
17 >> use.mask on given architectures until Python 2.7, 3.1 and 3.2 are stabilized on these
18 >> architectures, then majority of reverse dependencies of Python won't be tested with new
19 >> versions of Python.
20 >
21 > I don't see the problem here actually. As soon as you're going to allow
22 > stable and unstable to be mixed, the concept of stable isn't worth much
23 > any more, IMO. If you want to have some experimental feature in some
24 > package, it can never be stable, unless it is e.g. USE-masked, and
25 > unmasking of the right package(s) is left as an excercise for the
26 > user.
27 >
28 > Your Python example only indicates to me how much of a mess it has
29 > actually become. For most other packages, it is quite normal that a new
30 > version is "untested" until it is stabilised, which means unstable users
31 > are the ones to find the problems, if any. The maintainer (and to an
32 > extent the arch teams) of course has a leading role in this.
33
34 I think the "separate profiles for stable and unstable keywords"
35 approach is a clear winner here. With separate stable and unstable
36 profiles, unstable users don't have to do any unmasking themselves. When
37 it comes time to migrate things to stable, the arch teams simply update
38 the stable profiles to behave like the unstable profiles. This approach
39 also protects stable users from experiencing "unsatisfied dependencies"
40 that the *.unsatisfiable approach would expose them to.
41 --
42 Thanks,
43 Zac