From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:53:26
1 On 04/30/04 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 30 April 2004 22:06, Ryan Phillips wrote:
4 > > I think this is a really good idea. The ebuild config mechanism is
5 > > not all that smart.
6 >
7 > Let's try and make it smarter.
8 >
9 > For example, if we absolutely *have* to ask the user for some
10 > information for an ebuild - if there's no way to script it (and I
11 > think there is) - let's make Portage ask all the questions *before*
12 > downloading and compiling anything. It makes sense to ask all the
13 > questions up-front, so that the user doesn't constantly have to check
14 > his 'emerge -u world' to see if it has stopped to ask a question.
15 >
16 > Imagine running, for an example, 'emerge -u world'. Once Portage has
17 > calculated the dependencies, it could call a function (let's call it
18 > pkg_askuser) in each ebuild to gather further information.
19 > pkg_askuser would need some library functions to call, so that we can
20 > standardise the user's experience. Portage would have to cache the
21 > information gathered by pkg_askuser, and then it could continue with
22 > running each ebuild in turn exactly as it currently does. Each ebuild
23 > would have access to the cache (how doesn't matter yet), so that it
24 > can use the right database server, the right user and password, or
25 > whatever that information needs to be.
26
27 I don't like that idea, portage shouldn't be interactive by default. Use
28 pkg_setup() and tell the user to set the required values via the
29 environment or with a tool, let's call it gentoo-db-config for now.
30 That's the standard way to do such things (java-config, gcc-config) and
31 I don't see why databases should be an exception.
32
33 Marius
38 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
39 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.