From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:15:00
1 On Friday 30 April 2004 22:53, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > I don't like that idea, portage shouldn't be interactive by default.
3
4 Hrm. It would only have to be interactive the first time - when it has
5 questions that it doesn't have answers to. And it asks all of those
6 questions up-front - when it has the user's attention.
7
8 It's no different in principle to the way that a windows-based installer asks
9 you all the questions before installing your files. It's a
10 human-computer-interaction model that most people understand, and are
11 comfortable with.
12
13 > Use pkg_setup()
14
15 ... and output a message that the user probably won't read, because it appears
16 two hours into an 'emerge -u world' and has long gone from the terminal's
17 screen buffer by the time the user returns.
18
19 I think asking the user *before* the emerge -u world begins is a lot
20 friendlier myself.
21
22 > and tell the user to set the required values via the
23 > environment or with a tool, let's call it gentoo-db-config for now.
24
25 Sounds like the 'cache editor' that I mentioned in my original post.
26
27 > That's the standard way to do such things (java-config, gcc-config) and
28 > I don't see why databases should be an exception.
29
30 These tools don't influence ebuilds at all.
31
32 Although it might benefit working with databases, my idea about improving
33 Portage is a more general idea.
34
35 Best regards,
36 Stu
37 --
38 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
39 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
40 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
41
42 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
43 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C