From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 00:05:18
1 On 04/30/04 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > It's no different in principle to the way that a windows-based >
4 > installer asks you all the questions before installing your files. >
5 > It's a human-computer-interaction model that most people understand, >
6 > and are comfortable with.
7
8 And next we introduce "Next" buttons?
9
10 > > Use pkg_setup()
11 >
12 > ... and output a message that the user probably won't read, because it
13 > appears two hours into an 'emerge -u world' and has long gone from the
14 > terminal's screen buffer by the time the user returns.
15
16 Hmm, I forgot that part in my mail: We can talk about collecting all
17 to-be-executed pkg_setup functions and execute them before any
18 src_unpack/src_compile function or make a new one that's executed then,
19 but I won't support any interactive function in ebuilds that will be
20 executed by default (read: if the user calls it explicitly I'm ok with
21 it).
22
23 Marius
28 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
29 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.