From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA feedback
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:09:57
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 01:43 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >
4 >>>This sounds like a request for the QA team. I tend to stay away
5 >>>from most ~arch packages simply because most of our systems are
6 >>>live production servers, but I'd be happy to test-drive new ebuilds
7 >>>of vpopmail if it would help get new versions into the stable tree
8 >>>faster.
9 >>
10 >>maybe ... but i think more than just the QA team needs to brainstorm some sort
11 >>of feedback system ...
14 > We *had* stable.gentoo.org, but I don't think anybody really used it and
15 > I'm not sure the output actually went to anyone. Perhaps now that we
16 > have metadata.xml and a defined place for these to go to, we could
17 > revive something similar?
18 >
19 > Something like a little check box that means "WORKSFORME" on a
20 > particular ebuild/arch.
21
22 Actually, with the Gentoo/MIPS project... we've got a (semi-unofficial)
23 hardware compatability database, where people can specify what
24 configurations work for them, etc.
25
26 http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org/gentoo/mips/
27
28 Basically, the above site, allows people to record what configurations
29 work for them, as well as the kernel configs used. They can make their
30 own notes as to how this configuration runs. It also works in reverse,
31 if I were to get an O2, I could go to that site, and have my pick of 3
32 (at time of writing) kernel configurations that I could try, two 2.6.9,
33 one 2.6.12-rc2.
34
35 Perhaps something for packages could be rigged up? I would certainly
36 make use of such a system if one existed. If anyone's interested (in
37 particular, arch teams) in the code for the above site, I'm happy to
38 distribute it -- just needs PHP and MySQL.
39 --
40 ____ _ Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
41 / _ \ ___ ___ __| |__ __ __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
42 - (_) \ / \ ; \(__ __)/ \ / \ Developer
45 (___/ \____/|_; |_| \_/ \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter