From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Working Group established to evaluate the stable tree
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:41:24
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 3:55 AM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have some trouble with not being able to close bugs as resolved when
4 > the fixes have been released. But I do see that the majority of what is
5 > being discussed relates to pkg ebuilds more than it does to coding
6 > projects. In that sense it sounds reasonable. But for me, most of my
7 > work is project coding, so it overlaps with making releases which
8 > involves the ebuild. As a project coder, I want to be able to close a
9 > bug when a release has been made that contains the fix. In some cases
10 > that release might not get stabilized, but another one later does.
13 I'd suggest that we agree early-on that the scope of this is around
14 ebuild work. Not "upstream" work where the upstream is Gentoo.
15
16 Of course, there could be overlap. portage-1.23.ebuild might have a
17 bug, and that gets fixed in the portage dev git, and later gets
18 released to portage-1.24, and then ends up in stable sometime later.
19 Those could be two separate bugs (the gentoo repo ebuild bug vs the
20 portage "upstream" bug), but I'm not sure that makes life easier. If
21 they were two separate bugs (as they would be if Gentoo weren't the
22 upstream) then the scope of this effort is focused on the Gentoo
23 ebuild repo bug.
26 Rich