From: Ivan Yosifov <ivan@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:17:40
1 Hi blubb,
2
3 > I receive about 120 Mails (spam not
4 > counted) per day (all gentoo-related), and about 110 are relevant to me.
5 > I really don't like the idea of receiving 250 Mails of which 110 are
6 > relevant to me.
7
8 I agree that no one wants to get too much irrelevant mail. However if
9 there is a single dev list where improvements (and not user problems)
10 are discussed there will usually be several threads that just keep
11 growing. AFAIK Thunderbird (which you appear to be using) supports
12 message folding and threading. So if there are a dozen messages under
13 the XOrg message tree you can quickly tell that they are not for you. I
14 mean that just because there are 100 messages more , does not mean you
15 will need more than 10 seconds to filter them all.
16
17 > If you, as a PPC user have a security problem with a java plugin,it's
18 > quite easy: File a bug, assign it to the herd you think it is the most
19 > important to that bug and CC the others. Another example: We often get
20 > bugs like "app-foo/bar-1.0 does not work on amd64" that are assigned to
21 > amd64@g.o. After having a look at the error log i see that it is
22 > most likely a arch-independend bug and reassign it to the right herd/guy
23 > and CC amd64@.
24
25 Ok , if concrete problems are discussed in the Bugzilla (the current
26 practice I believe) the less the chance you will get unwanted mail.
27
28 > *This* gentoo-dev isn't there for helping users with their problems.
29
30 I agree. What I meant was that sometimes users have ideas about
31 improving Gentoo (apart from fix bug #####). And such ideas (i think)
32 are for gentoo-dev.
33
34 > The only purpose is to improve Gentoo. The respective mailing lists
35 > (gentoo-ppc-user, gentoo-java and so on) are.
36
37 Mind your own example with app-foo/bar-1.0 on amd64. Most bugs (and
38 problems) are arch independent. Especially problems like "How do I use
39 this app" , or "where is this in the gnome menu". And these are the
40 problems a user is likely to ask help for. You can't expect form a user
41 to see the amd64 TCP/IP stack bug when all he knows is that gaim can not
42 connect. I believe that ppc,amd64,x86,etc users (and lists ) have more
43 experience to share than arch specific stuff.
44
45 > time the more emails you get about stuff you aren't interested in. I
46 > really don't care about java, and i don't care about hardened in general
47 > (well, i care about them if it's a amd64-specific problem :))
48
49 I understand. However something currently going on the java list may
50 very well have to do with amd64 , and you may never know about it.
51
52 > In general, I agree with you, but I don't think that your solution
53 > will bring us the expected improvements.
54
55 Well , this is an RFC. Fell encouraged to suggest other schemes to
56 improve communication in the gentoo world.
57
58 Cheers,
59
60 Ivan Yosifov.