From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: Ivan Yosifov <ivan@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:01:18
1 Hi Ivan,
2
3 Ivan Yosifov wrote:
4 > Hello Everyone,
5 >
6 > First of all - this is just an idea, if my impressions are wrong -
7 > pardon.
8 > It is my impression that gentoo has way too many mailing lists wich by
9 > themselves are not very active. For example I am a
10 > gentoo-desktop-research subscriber for mounths and have not recived a
11 > single message.
12
13 Yes, we have a lot of mailing lists. No, most of them aren't that
14 active, but i don't care if there is much traffic. I fact, i thank God
15 there is not so much traffic. I receive about 120 Mails (spam not
16 counted) per day (all gentoo-related), and about 110 are relevant to me.
17 I really don't like the idea of receiving 250 Mails of which 110 are
18 relevant to me.
19
20 > I further believe that developer issues are always just developer
21 > issues. A java-plugin can expose a browser bug. A ppc specific problem
22 > my be a bug in the common kernel source. There is little reason for
23 > having a dozen separate lists when the issues discussed on these lists
24 > are related. As of now for a developer to have a full grasp of what
25 > ideas are flying about and what problems bother the users most he has to
26 > subscribe to ALL lists which is a lot of subscibe-me mails.
27
28 If you, as a PPC user have a security problem with a java plugin, it's
29 quite easy: File a bug, assign it to the herd you think it is the most
30 important to that bug and CC the others. Another example: We often get
31 bugs like "app-foo/bar-1.0 does not work on amd64" that are assigned to
32 amd64@g.o. After having a look at the error log i see that it is
33 most likely a arch-independend bug and reassign it to the right herd/guy
34 and CC amd64@.
35
36 > Imagine a PPC user with security problem in the java plugin. Where can
37 > he discus his problem ? On gentoo-desktop, gentoo-security, gentoo-dev,
38 > gentoo-ppc-dev, gentoo-ppc-user, gentoo-java or somewhere else? Having
39 > so many lists with so deeply connected topics is confusing and a waste
40 > of valuable communication resources.
41
42 I agree, there are cases that are deeply connected, but i don't think a
43 gentoo-problems list would make it better, because you just can't read
44 every mail you get. You read what seems important to you, and that's it.
45 I don't want to filter 90% of the mails i get out and read the oder 10%,
46 finding out that only 5% are really what i wanted to read ;)
47
48 > I propose the following. There should be a gentoo-announce list for
49 > GLSA,release announces and whatever everyone must be aware of. There
50 > should be a gentoo-dev for all development related issues (users having
51 > problems go here). And there should be a gentoo-user for users that need
52 > guidance (like how do I do this,where is that...).
53
54 *This* gentoo-dev isn't there for helping users with their problems. The
55 only purpose is to improve Gentoo. The respective mailing lists
56 (gentoo-ppc-user, gentoo-java and so on) are.
57
58 > Naturally the traffic on the dev and user list can get high. But no one
59 > forces the PPC dev to read the X.org threads so this should not be a
60 > problem.
61
62 Sure. But it forces the PPC dev to filter them out, and that takes more
63 time the more emails you get about stuff you aren't interested in. I
64 really don't care about java, and i don't care about hardened in general
65 (well, i care about them if it's a amd64-specific problem :))
66
67 In general, I agree with you, but I don't think that your solution will
68 bring us the expected improvements.
69
70 Greetings,
71