From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] JRE support - is it worth it?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:41:45
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Tuesday 20 May 2003 12:32 pm, Chris Davies wrote:
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > Secondly, there is simply no advantage to compiling java applications on
8 > the system in question. It is a complete waste of time. Java compiles
9 > into machine independant bytecode. The same Java code compiled by the
10 > same compiler on two different architectures should produce exactly the
11 > same result. So unless you plan to offer gcj as an alternative
12 > compilation tool, compiling from source is utter waste of the user's
13 > time. It is dogmatic in the extreme to suggest that because we compile
14 > programs that generate machine dependant object code on the system
15 > itself, all programs on the system should be compiled. Compilation is a
16 > means to an end, that end being object code that is more efficient than
17 > offered by binary distributions. In cases where the build process is
18 > long or difficult, often binaries are offered (openoffice-bin and
19 > phoenix-bin spring to mind), so saying this is a source distribution is
20 > false. I firmly beleive Java packages should be offered as binary until
21 > gcj is fit to compile them, and that one or other of the JREs should be
22 > the default Java environment.
23
24 You are incorrect here.
25
26 Yes, bytecode is bytecode, however, there are numerous reasons why
27 compiling from source makes sense for some packages, not least of which is
28 optional run-time dependencies that can be built in (or not) to the final
29 JAR.
30
31 Also, classes produced by Jikes are often smaller than what's produced by
32 Sun's javac. Because of these reasons and others not listed here,
33 building from source is not only desireable, it will most definitely
34 remain a focus of how we do things.
35
36 GCJ/GIJ is planned to be integrated into java-config(1), but will not work
37 with a lot of things in the near future until it improves.
38
39 Your whole reasoning with GCJ, frankly, I find completely insane.
40
41 > It is true that some packages do require a JDK, like Tomcat, but I can't
42 > see that as being a reason that all Java packages must require a JDK. It
43 > should be pointed out that Tomcat is distributed as a binary, so the JDK
44 > is only a runtime dependancy. Why inflict the JDK on users who neither
45 > want or need it?
46
47 Tomcat is only a binary because it's not currently a source build. That
48 will change. Throughout the Java tree I expect to take advantage of the
49 'prebuilt' USE flag and make ebuilds binary-or-source where it makes sense
50 to do so.
51
52 The whole prebuilt USE flag was born out of an RFC I submitted to -core
53 long ago.
56 > Well, thats my rant of the day over with :)
59 I need reasoned feedback, not rants. This isn't even an RFC yet, so
60 please chill out.
61
62 Cheers,
63 Dylan Carlson
64
65 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F
66 Key fingerprint = 3AEA DE38 FE42 15A6 C0E2 730E 3D04 BCC1 708E 165F
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list