From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SRC_URI component naming collision
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:34:17
1 On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 21:04 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Ok, so given that this is a closed source application, if upstream
3 > won't cooperate on something as simple as this, why do you expect them
4 > to cooperate with you on bugs or security issues?
5
6 That's not the issue here. The issue here is whether the QA team is
7 entitled to be requesting the removal of packages in this specific
8 instance.
9
10 There are never any guarantees that any UPSTREAM will co-operate with us
11 on bugs or security issues. If we can't live with the issues, and we
12 can't fix them, the packages get dropped. I've no problem with that.
13
14 > | Everything else is up for discussion. I think it's unreasonable to
15 > | say that I'm refusing to work with you.
16 >
17 > You're repeatedly closing off the bug rather than suggesting
18 > alternative ways of fixing the issue.
19
20 I think, in this specific case, there are better things to spend the
21 time on. I don't have a queue of users telling me that the way we
22 handle this today is a problem. There's no evidence that, in this
23 specific case, there is a problem out in the real world.
24
25 > There's been one possibility
26 > mentioned in this thread already, but it can't go anywhere unless
27 > someone with an affected package (which is you) is prepared to go to
28 > the Portage team with a justification.
29
30 Hang on a moment. It's not clear to me why I must go to the Portage
31 team for a change, when it's the QA team demanding change? As the QA
32 team wants the change, why don't you go to the Portage team and ask them
33 to implement DEST_PREFIX?
34
35 Because (quite rightly) you'd rather the Portage team did other things
36 too.
37
38 > See Daniel's post in the thread. The council has already agreed that QA
39 > has authority.
40
41 Daniel also said that the QA team was supposed to be coming back to the
42 council with more information.
43
44 > | The issue at hand is that the QA team is, in this case, repeatedly
45 > | asking for something it doesn't have the authority to insist on. I
46 > | also think you're being unreasonable in this specific case.
47 >
48 > We're asking you to work with us in fixing a tree breakage. That's our
49 > goal here. We can't do this if you just go around closing off bugs and
50 > refusing to cooperate.
51
52 Please stop spreading FUD, and libelling my name here.
53
54 Best regards,
55 Stu
56 --
57 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
58 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
59 http://blog.stuartherbert.com/
60
61 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
62 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C