From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 15:28:49
1 09.07.2014 03:08, hasufell пишет:
2 > Pacho Ramos:
3 >>
4 >> What kind of games packages does he want to maintain in a "strictly"
5 >> way? Maybe one way to cooperate would be to have two herds:
6 >> - games-base (or similar) -> the more "stricter" and the one Mr_Bones
7 >> would likely still prefer to handle himself. It would take care of
8 >> central libs related with games
9 >> - games-extra (or...) -> a bit less strict in terms of accepting other
10 >> team members or similar.
13 > I don't see how that is a solution. Mr_Bones_ is collaborative if you
14 > bother him long enough on IRC. That's not the thing.
15 >
16 > I meant that there is no _team_. And there seems to be very little
17 > interest to improve that.
18 >
19 > After all, vapier is the lead. And the lead is responsible for managing
20 > the team.
21 >
22 > I could make a list of things that didn't get much attention from him:
23 > * joining requests
24 > * review requests for non-trivial libraries like SDL2
25 > * review requests for games.eclass changes
26 > * review request for games-bin.eclass
27 > * RFC about an official games overlay
28 > * growing number of games overlays which means people stopped caring to
29 > contribute via bugzilla (yes, that's a problem the project has to fix)
30 > * growing number of developers who are uninterested to work with the
31 > team, probably because of lack of communication (a single person on IRC
32 > is not enough, mails to games@ are widely ignored)
33 > ...
34 >
35 > Vapier responds when he feels like it, when something catches his
36 > attention. But he doesn't follow games stuff on a regular basis anymore,
37 > probably because his focus has shifted. And that happens, sure.
38 >
39 > Therefor I'm not really interested in decisive council intervention
40 > here. We already did that and it failed, IMO.
41 >
42 > But I'd appreciate if the games project can:
43 > * reconsider who currently has the time and capacity to be an
44 > appropriate lead
45 > * make the team more open to collaboration from devs
46 > * make the team more open to collaboration from users (e.g. via an
47 > official games overlay on github... bugzilla sucks)
48 > * respond to joining requests
49 > * discuss possible solutions to known eclass problems openly
50 >
51 > If they miss the opportunity to improve these things, then we will
52 > likely see that more people will start to ignore the games project. And
53 > that's an even worse situation.
54 >
55 > Anyway, this thread certainly has several points. One is just the
56 > eclass, the other is the project behind it. I'd suggest to focus on the
57 > latter first, maybe the former will be easier to fix then instead of
58 > forcing anarchy-rage by council decision or something like that.
61 While i do not agree with some summary, that you pointed here, it does
62 not really matter, because the most of your discussed things is really true.
63
64 I was the one, who tried to join to Games team(it was around 1,5 years
65 ago). And i have failed to get any answer from vapier.
66
67 But, honesly, i can not see problem in this. We have similar problem in
68 ARM team, which was fixed by electing new leads by those, who really did
69 most of ARM stuff AND actively responds on e-mails. And yes, previous
70 lead was vapier.
71
72 I do not want to say that vapier is not doing anything, it would be
73 terrible lie.
74
75 But project lead should actively responds to the requests. no matter how
76 big his contribution is in terms of code/ebuilds/etc. If it does not
77 reply, the whole progress can be stopped: if there is no way to join the
78 project without lead approval(and lead does not responding) - we have no
79 new manpower. Older developers has been retired and still no new manpower.
80
81 And then - project dies. Let's try to save Gentoo Games from this!
84 Best regards, Sergey Popov
85 Gentoo developer
86 Gentoo Desktop-effects project lead
87 Gentoo Qt project lead
88 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead