From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:50:04
1 On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:17:30 -0400 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 | > Uh, as far as I recall, you've yet to come up with any technical
3 | > explanation other than "it breaks one of my pet projects"... The
4 | > gains of consistency and manageability far outweigh the minor
5 | > inconvenience.
6 |
7 | There is no consistency for end users when stuff keeps getting
8 | shuffled around.
9
10 Uh, end users get consistent and sensible categorising when stuff is
11 properly categorised. It's not exactly consistent to have some foo
12 packages in app-misc and some in app-foo now, is it?
13
14 | Portage still can't get it right.
15
16 Specifics?
17
18 | 'fixpackages' does not correct the installed vdb content so the
19 | problems extend past any of my pet projects.
20
21 A few people having to rebuild a few binary packages now and again (and
22 incidentally, it'd take you even less time to fix fixpackages) is far
23 less of an issue than keeping an already way too huge tree slightly
24 more manageable.
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list