From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:21:35
1 On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 15:15 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:34:37 -0400 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3 > | Creation of a new categories is fine. pkg moves are bad.
4 > | See the countless other posting on this subject of why pkg
5 > | moves are bad.
6 >
7 > Uh, as far as I recall, you've yet to come up with any technical
8 > explanation other than "it breaks one of my pet projects"... The gains
9 > of consistency and manageability far outweigh the minor inconvenience.
10
11 There is no consistency for end users when stuff keeps getting shuffled
12 around. Portage still can't get it right. 'fixpackages' does not
13 correct the installed vdb content so the problems extend past any of
14 my pet projects.
17 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
18 Gentoo Linux
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list