From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 00:30:41
1 > William Hubbs wrote:
2 > > waltdnes wrote:
3 > >> Question... when Sun made OpenOffice depend on Java (also a Sun
4 > >> product) did Gentoo developers run around suggesting that Java be made a
5 > >> part of the core Gentoo base system? I don't think so. If a user wants
6 > >> to run GNOME badly enough, he'll switch to systemd. I don't see why the
7 > >> rest of us (i.e. non-users of GNOME) should have to follow along and
8 > >> reconfigure our systems. This is a case of the tail wagging the dog.
9 > >
10 > > I don't interpret what he is saying that way. I think what he is
11 > > talking about is that we are trying to get teams to support non-systemd
12 > > setups when upstreams do not, like with gnome.
13 > >
14 > > Gnome now has a hard dependency on systemd (for gnome newer than 3.8).
15 > > Some folks want to use gnome without systemd and are putting that under
16 > > the gentoo is about choice banner and want us to support them.
17
18 I haven't seen anyone say that in this entire discussion, but I might have
19 missed something. "If a user wants to run GNOME, he [can] switch to systemd"
20 is clearly not saying that, so we're left with an enigmatic "some" who haven't
21 posted to this thread, afaics.
22
23 It's clear to me that users have been forced through lots of changes over the
24 last 5 years, even where we just want to carry on using our machines the way
25 we always have. Isn't that what convenience layers are about? So Walter's
26 point stands.
27
28 I for one have become very wary of accepting assurances that "nothing will
29 change" for existing users and their use-cases (since it's never proven
30 accurate from this upstream.) Especially when one init-system of several for
31 a niche operating-system becomes "the rest of the world."
32
33 > >> Fabio Erculiani wrote
34 > >>> So what do we want to do then? Isolate from the rest of the world?
35 > >>> (It's not a sarcastic question). I hope that everybody does their
36 > >>> own reality check.
37
38 Gnome can depend on w/e upstream require. How is that the whole world?
39 It's not even the whole Linux ecosystem, and I can't see Qt giving up cross-
40 platform independence, just to work with systemd. That was never going to
41 happen, so it was never going to happen in KDE either, however enthused a
42 few of its volunteers were, since KDE is a showcase for Qt.
43
44 You're right: reality-checks are clearly needed all over the place.
45
46 > >> You are effectively calling not-using-GNOME isolationist. Let's just
47 > >> say I disagree with you on that. BTW, see my sig.
48
49 It's clear to me that systemd devs are the real isolationists: everyone
50 else has to do everything their way, or they'll throw their toys out of the
51 pram, including the ones they stole. The real trouble with "N+1 True Way" is
52 the contortions it forces them through, as they explain why "this time" they've
53 got it right, and how badly they got it wrong last time.
54
55 That wouldn't be an issue-- everyone makes mistakes-- if they hadn't rubbished
56 everyone else who pointed out issues along the way. After a few years of that,
57 sorry but enough already.
58
59 Matthew Thode wrote:
60 > If upstream gnome has that dep on systemd then I kinda think we should
61 > too (technical decision, not one I like personally)
62
63 I think we should too: all anyone has said is "Gnome is not Linux". Presenting
64 its choices as representative of every DE and upstream project is simply
65 misleading.
66
67 Claiming that making it easier to use systemd is in everyone's interests is
68 clearly untrue as well, since many of us our interests are caught up with a
69 modular system we can build and configure how we require. That's why we came to
70 Gentoo, and why we stay.
71
72 But I'm sure someone will declaim about how systemd doesn't force anything on
73 anyone (leveraging udev builds against your explicit word, doesn't count, nor do
74 any of the other changes like requiring an initramfs where none was needed before:
75 those are just things you should do because we tell you to) and Lennartware
76 hasn't already forced major changes and upgrade pain, for no tangible benefit to
77 the desktop-users it was purportedly aimed at.
78
79 I certainly haven't seen any new apps which weren't possible before, let alone a
80 class of them, which is what I'd expect in exchange for such intrusive breakages
81 of userspace. In fact, KDE works *better* without nubkit/ucrapola. Funny that.
82
83 By all means use your machines how you want, with whatever software you like.
84 Just respect our right to do the same: which includes the freedom NOT to use
85 software. If you cannot respect that choice (constantly trying to second-guess
86 our use-cases instead of accepting that actually we know them better than you,
87 and we don't want to have to file a bug and go through your mill every time we
88 want to do something "esoteric", that's why we use _soft_ware) then you cannot
89 expect much respect in return.
90
91 Courtesy, perhaps; if you don't spend an entire email belittling someone's
92 experience instead of answering the substantive points.
95 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)