From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 03:45:32
1 On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 01:58:41AM +0100, Steven J. Long wrote:
2 > > William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > > waltdnes wrote:
4 > > >> Question... when Sun made OpenOffice depend on Java (also a Sun
5 > > >> product) did Gentoo developers run around suggesting that Java be made a
6 > > >> part of the core Gentoo base system? I don't think so. If a user wants
7 > > >> to run GNOME badly enough, he'll switch to systemd. I don't see why the
8 > > >> rest of us (i.e. non-users of GNOME) should have to follow along and
9 > > >> reconfigure our systems. This is a case of the tail wagging the dog.
10 > > >
11 > > > I don't interpret what he is saying that way. I think what he is
12 > > > talking about is that we are trying to get teams to support non-systemd
13 > > > setups when upstreams do not, like with gnome.
14 > > >
15 > > > Gnome now has a hard dependency on systemd (for gnome newer than 3.8).
16 > > > Some folks want to use gnome without systemd and are putting that under
17 > > > the gentoo is about choice banner and want us to support them.
18 >
19 > I haven't seen anyone say that in this entire discussion, but I might have
20 > missed something. "If a user wants to run GNOME, he [can] switch to systemd"
21 > is clearly not saying that, so we're left with an enigmatic "some" who haven't
22 > posted to this thread, afaics.
23
24 The point I'm trying to make here is that for gnome >=3.8, upstream
25 gnome does not support running gnome without systemd afaik.
26
27 > It's clear to me that users have been forced through lots of changes over the
28 > last 5 years, even where we just want to carry on using our machines the way
29 > we always have. Isn't that what convenience layers are about? So Walter's
30 > point stands.
31
32 No it doesn't, because Gentoo Linux isn't requiring you to run systemd.
33
34 > > >> Fabio Erculiani wrote
35 > > >>> So what do we want to do then? Isolate from the rest of the world?
36 > > >>> (It's not a sarcastic question). I hope that everybody does their
37 > > >>> own reality check.
38 >
39 > Gnome can depend on w/e upstream require. How is that the whole world?
40 > It's not even the whole Linux ecosystem, and I can't see Qt giving up cross-
41 > platform independence, just to work with systemd. That was never going to
42 > happen, so it was never going to happen in KDE either, however enthused a
43 > few of its volunteers were, since KDE is a showcase for Qt.
44 >
45 > You're right: reality-checks are clearly needed all over the place.
46 >
47 > > >> You are effectively calling not-using-GNOME isolationist. Let's just
48 > > >> say I disagree with you on that. BTW, see my sig.
49 >
50 > It's clear to me that systemd devs are the real isolationists: everyone
51 > else has to do everything their way, or they'll throw their toys out of the
52 > pram, including the ones they stole. The real trouble with "N+1 True Way" is
53 > the contortions it forces them through, as they explain why "this time" they've
54 > got it right, and how badly they got it wrong last time.
55 >
56 > That wouldn't be an issue-- everyone makes mistakes-- if they hadn't rubbished
57 > everyone else who pointed out issues along the way. After a few years of that,
58 > sorry but enough already.
59 >
60 > Matthew Thode wrote:
61 > > If upstream gnome has that dep on systemd then I kinda think we should
62 > > too (technical decision, not one I like personally)
63 >
64 > I think we should too: all anyone has said is "Gnome is not Linux". Presenting
65 > its choices as representative of every DE and upstream project is simply
66 > misleading.
67
68 I haven't done that, and I don't know of anyone else who has.
69
70 > Claiming that making it easier to use systemd is in everyone's interests is
71 > clearly untrue as well, since many of us our interests are caught up with a
72 > modular system we can build and configure how we require. That's why we came to
73 > Gentoo, and why we stay.
74
75 No one is arguing against that. All this thread is about is making
76 systemd a first-class citizen, like OpenRC/Sysvinit, so it will be as
77 smooth as possible for someone who wants to switch between the two.
78
79 > But I'm sure someone will declaim about how systemd doesn't force anything on
80 > anyone (leveraging udev builds against your explicit word, doesn't count, nor do
81 > any of the other changes like requiring an initramfs where none was needed before:
82 > those are just things you should do because we tell you to) and Lennartware
83 > hasn't already forced major changes and upgrade pain, for no tangible benefit to
84 > the desktop-users it was purportedly aimed at.
85
86 Systemd has nothing to do with requiring an initramfs, so please
87 de-couple those issues. Yes, the systemd devs are the ones who wrote up
88 the issues around why an initramfs should be used if /usr is separate,
89 but systemd itself doesn't care.
90
91 William