From: "Piotr Jaroszyński" <peper@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 updated
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 18:17:24
1 2009/5/17 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>:
2 > On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:56:06 +0200
3 > Piotr Jaroszyński <peper@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello,
6 >>
7 >> I have just updated GLEP 55 [1], hopefully making it a bit clearer.
8 >>
9 >> Just FYI, my order of preference of solutions is:
10 >>
11 >> 1. EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (obviously)
12 >> 2. EAPI in the filename with one-time extension change
13 >> 3. Easily fetchable EAPI inside the ebuild and one-time extension change
14 >>
15 >> I can live with any of these if that's what it takes to move forward.
16 >
17 > I'd like 2 if we could have multiple same-versioned ebuilds of different
18 > EAPI.  3 is good enough for me.
19
20 That's covered in the GLEP:
21
22 "Note that it is still not permitted to have more than one ebuild with
23 equal category, package name, and version. Although it would have the
24 advantage of allowing authors to provide backwards compatible ebuilds,
25 it would introduce problems too. The first is the requirement to have
26 strict EAPI ordering, the second is ensuring that all the ebuilds for
27 a single category/package-version are equivalent, i.e. installing any
28 of them has exactly the same effect on a given system."
29
30 I don't see a way to overcome these problems in a sensible way.
33 Best Regards,
34 Piotr Jaroszyński