From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE="minimal" for kernel sources
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:40:41
1 warnera6 wrote:
2 >
3 > IMHO it is, but not as a USE flag (it will never be stable enough
4 > without upstream support) but I think many would find the functionality
5 > useful in a script. I know I would. If it works most of the time and
6 > saves space, there is no reason not trim things. If it breaks, you
7 > immediately revert to a normal build.
10 Well this would not give the advantage of cutting down emerge times. Why
11 the script when you can just turn off the use flag?
14 >> Or, put the kernel source on a cd, and build off of it (putting the
15 >> objects on your local disk.) This lets you only use the local disk for
16 >> your built objects.
17
18 I can always maintain this in my overlay if I want to so that is no
19 problem. I just thought this might be useful for other people too.
20
21 Regards,
22 Petteri Räty (Betelgeuse)