From: R Hill <dirtyepic@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Pinboard of outdated ports
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:48:05
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 >>I dunno if it's really big work to have a look at one site to see if
3 >>there are ebuilds you missed when they were updated.
4 >>It was not my intention to make really more work. It was just to find a faster
5 >>way for outdated ebuilds getting updated.
6
7 > There is really only one way to do this. Figure out how to give the
8 > developers more time to develop.
9
10 Right. I think most maintainers keep on top of what's happening with
11 their charges. It's not that they've missed the fact that a new version
12 has been released, it's that they haven't had the time to bump it yet.
13 This might be less true for pkgs that don't have a single maintainer but
14 are covered by a herd, but even in that case it's a matter of having
15 time, not being oblivious that there's an update.
16
17 > Having to search through bugs.gentoo.org, plus some external site, would
18 > increase the time needed to find packages in need of upgrade, as some
19 > will be filed as bugs, which would need to be resolved, so they would
20 > have to be searched for *anyway* in bugzilla.
21 >
22 > The most productive thing you could do, would be to figure out a simple
23 > way of testing ebuilds, marking them as tested, and assigning them to
24 > the proper parties quicker than is being done now.
25
26 I like this. It could probably be done through keywording, and in fact
27 the keywords are already there (ebuild and tested)[1]. They just never
28 get used. ;) Maybe raising people's (user's) awareness of their
29 existence and how to use them properly would help. I'd be willing to
30 write up a Bugzilla user-guide if there's any interest in it; I've been
31 meaning to write one for the wiki/forum anyways.
32
33 As for what happens after a ebuild is tested, I see a couple options.
34 Devs can always just keep doing what they do now and just use the tested
35 keyword as a handy at-a-glance reference. Or, you could implement the
36 Bugzilla request system[2][3] to allow a tester to flag a bug ready for
37 review by a developer. I think this would both improve the turn-around
38 time on bumps and save some time for the devs by letting them know that
39 any such request both has an ebuild attached and that ebuild has been
40 tested by the community. Adding a review request flag does add a little
41 more complexity to the process of using bugzilla, but with proper user
42 documentation I think the benefit will outweigh the cost.
43
44 > What we really need is to have the AT program extended from just amd64
45 > to every arch, including x86 (which desperately needs an arch team).
46
47 Really? What does such a team do?
48
49 --de.