From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pinboard of outdated ports
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:36:25
1 On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 07:26 +0200, Johannes Weiner wrote:
2 > > What it seems like you're doing here is saying more work for the
3 > > developers is fine, if it makes things easier for the users. (Developers
4 > > will just cvs up, which is likely faster than dealing with a web interface.)
5 >
6 > I dunno if it's really big work to have a look at one site to see if
7 > there are ebuilds you missed when they were updated.
8 > It was not my intention to make really more work. It was just to find a faster
9 > way for outdated ebuilds getting updated.
10
11 There is really only one way to do this. Figure out how to give the
12 developers more time to develop.
13
14 Having to search through bugs.gentoo.org, plus some external site, would
15 increase the time needed to find packages in need of upgrade, as some
16 will be filed as bugs, which would need to be resolved, so they would
17 have to be searched for *anyway* in bugzilla.
18
19 The most productive thing you could do, would be to figure out a simple
20 way of testing ebuilds, marking them as tested, and assigning them to
21 the proper parties quicker than is being done now.
22
23 What we really need is to have the AT program extended from just amd64
24 to every arch, including x86 (which desperately needs an arch team).
27 Chris Gianelloni
29 Games - Developer
30 Gentoo Linux