From: Johannes Weiner <hnaz@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pinboard of outdated ports
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 05:26:49
1 > What it seems like you're doing here is saying more work for the
2 > developers is fine, if it makes things easier for the users. (Developers
3 > will just cvs up, which is likely faster than dealing with a web interface.)
4
5 I dunno if it's really big work to have a look at one site to see if
6 there are ebuilds you missed when they were updated.
7 It was not my intention to make really more work. It was just to find a faster
8 way for outdated ebuilds getting updated.
9
10 > Although that may be nice in concept, in reality developers may have
11 > quite limited time. Most things that detract from the time they spend on
12 > development rather than on searching around and figuring out what to do
13 > makes Gentoo worse. It has yet to be proven that your suggestion would
14 > take more time, but that's the feeling I have.
15 >
16 > If one knows how to search bugzilla and understands how maintainers are
17 > indicated, this can be comparably easy already. Something like this
18 > could give you a search:
19 >
20 > 1. Use herdstat to find the maintainer, if you aren't comfortable with
21 > the metadata.xml files.
22 >
23 > $ herdstat --metadata xorg-x11
24 > Package: x11-base/xorg-x11
25 > Herds(1): x11
26 > Maintainers(0): none
27 > Homepage: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
30 Will try this, my idea seems to be refused anyway.
33 Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 71st day of Discord in the YOLD 3171