From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:31:00
1 On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 12:19 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > "Chris Bainbridge" <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com> posted
3 > 623652d50607270200h14bae69ai360777afc3d725ae@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:00:39 +0100:
5 >
6 > > The testing is supposed to be for the ebuild, not the package itself,
7 > > so there's not much point in holding back packages with simple ebuilds
8 > > from being stabilised.
9 >
10 > While ~arch is supposed to be stable upstream, testing the ebuild, in
11 > practice there's more to it than that. "Ebuild" in this case is shorthand
12 > for "Gentoo aspects of a package, including not only the ebuild script,
13 > but how the build process functions and the interaction with the various
14 > available Gentoo gcc/glibc/binutils/etc packages, and how it runs in a
15 > Gentoo system, including not only file system layout, but how it actually
16 > runs against the various current Gentoo versions of all its dependencies.
17
18 Correct.
19
20 If Gentoo had a third tree state, besides arch and ~arch, then *most* of
21 the ~arch packages would truly belong in the new state. With the
22 current tree, this would mean they would be masked in package.mask,
23 rather than simply being in the tree under ~arch.
24
25 > In fact, a specifically enumerated part of an arch-tester's job is to test
26 > not only build-time success, but that it actually runs reasonably well
27 > also. While an arch-tester can't be expected to always be familiar enough
28 > with the app to test all the little corner cases, when they say it's ready
29 > to stabilize, they are in effect reporting that it not only compiled, but
30 > ran "as advertised" with no glaring issues or instabilities thru a
31 > reasonable test of its runtime functionality as well, such that it should
32 > be safe to keyword stable, and therefore be available to those that
33 > actually depend on the app for "mission critical" functionality (whether
34 > that mission is as a public server, or blasting the other team in an online
35 > frag-fest).
36
37 Well, the idea for the arch team is that the team is responsible for
38 ensuring that the package works correctly on the given architecture, and
39 does not interfere with other packages on the architecture. This is
40 because not all developers have access to every architecture, and are
41 also not required to run fully stable systems. As a side-effect of this
42 process, the ebuild gets at least a second set of eyes and testing, and
43 with the arch testers in place, sometimes several extra sets of eyes.
44
45 Since the introduction of the x86 architecture team, we have had a
46 significant slowdown in the "stabilization" of packages in the tree.
47 However, we have also gotten numerous emails and messages from users who
48 have said that their systems are much more stable and are highly
49 appreciative of it. The thing with stabilization such as this, is it is
50 a balancing act between the people who want "new" and the people who
51 want it to "always work" once it is stable. I tend to think that our
52 quality has improved dramatically on x86 due to this. Most of the other
53 architectures already had this higher level of quality (and many times
54 lagged behind x86 prior to the x86 arch team) that we have come to know
55 and love. I can attest that this extra testing, as well as the
56 increased efforts of the newly-energized QA project, have made this
57 release a much more smooth affair than any previous release. I would
58 definitely call this a success. Will it make all of our users happy?
59 Of course not, but at this point, I don't think that is even a feasibly
60 attainable goal, since our user base is so diverse. Our only sane
61 course of action is to try to appease the majority, and do what we feel
62 is best for them and for ourselves.
65 Chris Gianelloni
66 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
67 x86 Architecture Team