From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] questions about small fixes/cleanups
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:06:46
1 On 09/19/2016 10:00 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Kristian Fiskerstrand schrieb:
3 >>> Why are those ebuilds not live? If upstream doesn't do real releases and
4 >>> can't even be bothered to tag the commit that marks a release, then why
5 >>> are you (or someone else) doing all this work? The snapshot scripts
6 >>> could be replaced by a live ebuild and upstream can handle bugs as they
7 >>> come since they can't be bothered to version their software.
8 >>
9 >> I would expect because live ebuilds can't be keyworded, so snapshot is
10 >> the correct way to do it.
11 >
12 > I think the rule of not keywording live ebuilds originally applied only
13 > to those who fetch git/svn/cvs head.
14 > If a live ebuild fetches a particular revision, then the disadvantage is
15 > still that it can't be mirrored (hence a snapshot is preferable from
16 > user POV), but other than that it can be tested fine.
17
18 Or a release CD / any offline system, or verifying OpenPGP signature of
19 the distributed tarball, or...
23 Kristian Fiskerstrand
24 OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
25 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3