From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: How to deal with git sources?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:04:40
1 W dniu pią, 16.03.2018 o godzinie 12∶00 +0100, użytkownik Ulrich Mueller
2 napisał:
3 > > > > > > On Fri, 16 Mar 2018, Martin Vaeth wrote:
4 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > I think the conclusion is that github generates tarballs on the
7 > > > fly, and therefore we cannot rely on them being invariant over a
8 > > > long time.
9 > > So I would not worry too much about it: It is not worth the cost of
10 > > hosting a huge number of tarballs permanently
11 >
12 > I agree, because hosting tarballs of upstream packages is not a task
13 > for us as a distro.
14 >
15 > > (or to convince upstream to let them be hosted by github for every
16 > > single version, only because one cannot theoretically exclude that a
17 > > similar thing won't ever happen again). [...]
18 >
19 > In the first place, upstream should make proper releases, which
20 > includes creating a pristine tarball and permanently hosting it.
21 > So, yell at them if they don't. And no, a git tag is not a release.
24 Feel free to convince Python upstreams to include tests in their
25 releases. Last I tried, I heard that tests are not useful for people who
26 install packages, and that they would make tarballs bigger.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny