From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How to deal with git sources?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:01:01
1 >>>>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2018, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I think the conclusion is that github generates tarballs on the
6 >> fly, and therefore we cannot rely on them being invariant over a
7 >> long time.
8
9 > So I would not worry too much about it: It is not worth the cost of
10 > hosting a huge number of tarballs permanently
11
12 I agree, because hosting tarballs of upstream packages is not a task
13 for us as a distro.
14
15 > (or to convince upstream to let them be hosted by github for every
16 > single version, only because one cannot theoretically exclude that a
17 > similar thing won't ever happen again). [...]
18
19 In the first place, upstream should make proper releases, which
20 includes creating a pristine tarball and permanently hosting it.
21 So, yell at them if they don't. And no, a git tag is not a release.
22
23 Ulrich