From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How to deal with git sources?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:06:08
1 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I think the conclusion is that github generates tarballs on the fly,
4 > and therefore we cannot rely on them being invariant over a long time.
5
6 Yes, but with emphasis on _long_ time and theory.
7 In practice this was happening now exactly _once_ in a decade
8 (according to all we learnt so far) for the understandable
9 reason of fixing an annoying incompatibility in an exotic case.
10 And the existence of zopfli shows that other backward-compatible
11 improvements _would_ have been possible, but apparently non-changing
12 of the produced tarball was always rated higher than anything else
13 (up to this exception).
14
15 So I would not worry too much about it: It is not worth the cost of
16 hosting a huge number of tarballs permanently (or to convince
17 upstream to let them be hosted by github for every single version,
18 only because one cannot theoretically exclude that a similar thing
19 won't ever happen again). Yes, for the transition period (until all
20 github servers use a new enough version) a solution for the few involved
21 tarballs has to be found (like temporarily hosting on devspace).
22 But after this period it is only a question of updating the
23 checksum once for the involved packages.